Ewan McGregor is Actually Obi-Wan Kenobi, People!
Recently, Ewan McGregor, who portrayed fan favorite Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels, announced that he would be returning to play the legendary Jedi Master. This announcement has driven home the fact that McGregor is essentially Obi-wan Kenobi in real life, which has prompted us here at Marvelous Movies to catalogue the more obvious similarities between the actor and his character.
- Hello There. The very format of the television series announcement was like McGregor dropped in out of nowhere and said “Hello there!” to the entire internet.
- He is a Padawan. McGregor was invested as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE). According to Wikipedia, that places him about two levels below knighthood. Therefore, he’s a Padawan. Also, when you put his rank in front of his name, you get OBE Ewan. The universe is rarely so explicit.
- He is also a knight. France appointed McGregor as a Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et Lettres (Knight of the Order of the Arts and Letters).
- He has never told anyone the “Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise.” No Jedi would ever tell this story.
- He was mentored by Liam Neeson. Wisdom roils off Neeson. People cannot help but become wiser after time in his presence, and McGregor spent an entire movie in Neeson’s presence.
- He is a badass. No one has defeated more Sith, has as many epic one-liners, or has sported such a magnificent beard as Obi-Wan did in the six movies in which he appeared. Ewan McGregor is Scottish and rides motorcycles.